Here are some key benefits you can expect from using mediation.
- Effective engagement – Rather than compromising or surrendering ground on important issues, mediation is about directly focusing on all the significant concerns of the parties in a thorough, systematic way.
- Cost effective – It’s cheaper in terms of money, time and effort compared to other options.
- More productive relationships – Mediation improves the chances of better ongoing relationships between the parties.
- Private – The process is confidential – what is said remains within the mediation sessions.
- Voluntary and low-risk – Any decision arising out of mediation needs to be agreed to by each party and no change occurs to peoples’ positions or rights unless they voluntarily modify them.
- Helpful practical assistance – Conflict is real difficult stuff and mediation provides an environment in which difficult and real issues can be expressed, listened to and given the best opportunity of being meaningfully addressed.
- Effective – Any decisions achieved through mediation offer more effective and lasting outcomes because the parties create their own agreement.
- Time well spent – Even where complete satisfaction is not reached, time spent in mediation can assist to clarify aspects of the conflict for one or both parties.
- Future focus – Rather than totally focusing on the past, mediation is future focused. It recognises differing views and constructively works toward practical agreements that address the real issues for the future.
See related article: Eight myths about mediation